We have all fallen into the trap of being so busy during our working day that we dash out to pick up a pre-made sandwich and all that is left is the dregs of the least-popular sarnies. With a little preparation, you can make lunchtimes a far more enjoyable affair with these simple lunch ideas.
The humble sandwich
Sandwiches are a lunchtime staple for a reason, and making your own is more satisfying than any you could buy in a shop. Here are some delicious combinations for you to try:
- Salami and cream cheese – for the young at heart!
- Peanut butter, pickle and potato chip – sounds odd, but oddly delicious.
- Arnold Palmer sandwich – half tuna, half egg salad.
- Chickpea salad – the go-to for vegetarians and vegans.
- Turkey caesar – classic for a reason.
- Cheddar and apple – ham makes a lovely addition.
- Smashed white bean and avocado – make the white bean sauce in bulk.
- Pesto chicken roll – pesto chicken dinners, leftovers for lunch!
Salads for every taste
We all know salads are considered the gold standard of healthy lunches. Here are a number of ways in which you can add a simple twist to your greens for a tasty and nutritious lunch:
- Sesame-ginger soba noodles – Use asparagus or kale depending on your taste and the season.
- Sun-dried tomato pasta – dried and fresh tomato make a great team.
- Three bean pasta – colourful and tastes great!
- Tuna and crisp cabbage – a fun and tasty twist on the ever popular tuna.
- Wheat berry salad with blood orange – light and satisfying with a citrus twist.
- Quinoa salad with cherries and feta – another good one to make in bulk for dinners and lunches.
- Pasta with goat’s cheese and arugula – really easy to toss together for the next day.
- Bean and cheese salad – protein to keep you going all afternoon.
- Kale salad with lentils and apricot vinaigrette – another option for vegetarians and vegans.
- Chickpea, cherry tomato, and feta – add bread or pitta for a filling lunch at your desk.
- Barley and kale – ridiculously healthy and easy to throw together.
- Pasta salad with broccoli and peanuts – African twist to a staple salad.
- Chicken salad with apricots and almonds – also great in a sandwich for extra satisfaction.
Bonus lunches: beyond the sarnie
These are neither salads nor sandwiches; however, they are tasty, easy to prepare and worth a try:
- Miso sweet potato and broccoli bowl – miso dressing is versatile and great to make in bulk.
- BLTA wrap – add avocado to the traditional BLT, simple!
- Ham and cheese croissant – who doesn’t love a croissant? Just add ham and cheese.
- Kale and quinoa bowl – just two ingredients make a delicious and filling dish.
- French tuna salad sandwich – the baguette version of a nicoise salad.
- Mushrooms and wheat berries – cooked grains are nutritious and filling.
Join Over 40,000 Recruiters. Get our latest articles weekly, all FREE – SEND ME ARTICLES
Recruiters love this COMPLETE set of Accredited Recruitment & HR Training – View Training Brochure