The record figures have been driven by increases in the number of people in secure work – over 75% of the increase in employment over the past 7 years has been in full-time work.
There are now 338,000 more people in work compared to this time last year.
Minister for Employment, Damian Hinds said:
“These statistics show that record levels of people are in work across the country and earning a wage, which is great news.
“Over 3 million more people are in work now than in 2010, with 7 in 10 of these roles being in higher skilled work.
“Over the past year the rise in employment has been overwhelmingly driven by permanent and full-time jobs, as employers continue to invest in Britain’s strong economy.
“The task now is to build on this success through Jobcentre Plus and our employment programmes so that everybody can benefit from the opportunities being created.”
The figures also show:
- The employment rate is at a record high of 75.1%, with 32.07 million people now in work – an increase of 338,000 on the year
- This year has been a strong one for employment growth with 247,000 more people now in work since January
- There are a near record 768,000 vacancies in the economy at any one time
- The female employment rate is at a record high of 70.5%, with over 15 million women in work
- Youth unemployment is down by 394,000 since 2010
- There are more British people in work than ever before and around 9 in 10 people in jobs are UK nationals
- The UK employment rate is now the fourth highest in the European Union and 7 percentage points higher than the EU28 average
Separate figures show 1.3 million claims have been made to Universal Credit. Of the 570,000 people now claiming Universal Credit, 39% are in work.
The government recently announced up to £35 million of funding with devolution authorities across England for 6 new innovation employment pilots. These will help over 18,000 disadvantaged people into employment, and tackle long-term barriers to work and in-work progression.
Recruiters love this COMPLETE set of Accredited Recruitment & HR Training – View Training Brochure